Air mattresses provide a cheaper option for those who can’t afford a regular bed. But how do you find the best air mattress that fits your needs? While many air mattresses can have the same size and look as most regular beds, choosing the incorrect model for your individual needs can be frustrating. Consider the following factors and features when picking one.
Basic Factors to Consider
- Size – this is one of the first things you should look into. You don’t want to end up with a mattress that is too small or too big. King and queen-sized beds offer more support and comfort especially if you need a bed that accommodates more than just one person.
- Height – if you want a more “classic” look, higher mattresses may be right for you. These also let you get in and out of bed a lot easier. Heights range from less than 15 to over 22 inches. A standard bed height is about 18 inches tall.
- Quality – beds, particularly air beds, can be quite fragile. Punctures and physical use can make them vulnerable. Once air is able to escape, your mattress can deflate quickly. So always pick models that are made of the most durable materials to ensure longevity.
- Cost – budget is one of the top factors most buyers prioritize. Like most purchases, you won’t base your choice solely on affordability, though. Skimping on mattress prices can compromise comfort and quality – so if you can find one that strikes the balance, then you know you found a good choice.
- Brand – some consumers are “brand loyal.” If you have a certain loyalty to a specific brand, then you really won’t have much trouble looking for the best air mattress that suits your taste and needs. If you’re not buying based on brands, however, be sure to ask for expert opinion. Read customer reviews online, or ask for recommendations from friends and family.
Special Add-On Features
The best air mattresses may have these features.
- Portable metal frames – many models come with accompanying frames. These frames are portable and let you elevate the mattress off the floor. This is particularly ideal for preventing the coldness of your floor from hitting the bed. You can also opt for accompanying rails, which you have to attach to the mattress as well. The best air mattresses have thick and durable foam rails. This ensures better sleep as you won’t be playing the risk of falling off of your bed at night.
- Internal pumps – the best air mattresses have built-in pumps, which make them a good choice for daily use. There isn’t anything wrong with beds that come with manual pumps. However, pumping on your own can prove to be a chore if done every day. You can save time and energy with electric pumps. If you purchase one without a built-in pump, grab yourself a separate external pump instead. If you are going to travel with your portable air mattress, then a built-in pump can be a lifesaver. Choose one that makes little to no noise. Having a noisy pump can disturb others, especially if you’re planning on using your mattress for camping or other outdoor activities.
- Remote controls – these allow you to control how much air your mattress has at any given time, as well as the level of the bed during use. Each person has a different preference, which makes this quite an essential. You won’t ever have to get up at night to readjust the air with your pump – you can simply do it with the remote control.
The best air mattress will be decided differently by each individual. There are many factors to consider before purchasing one, and you should never make a decision out of a whim. Think of this as a long-term investment. Compare between various brands, various models, and pick those that carry the features most important to you.